Thursday, January 8, 2009

Civilization dynamics and some disappointments

Civilization should not change its basic dynamic: turn based game, strategy rather than tactics, leaders, science, units, cities, etc. However, we expect a lot of changes and addons for further versions as we saw in the past when concepts like culture and civics were added and became useful and popular.

Civilization IV BTS is my favorite game from the series. For the first time I saw proper winning conditions, different leader's qualities, unique units, espionage system and robustness (not crashing as past versions). I really have addiction problems with this game, specially in multiplayer games. Anyway I have noticed two major disappointments that make me think about fixes and improvements: diplomacy and economy. 

I see in Civ 4 that diplomacy is a concept completely related to the AI. In non-AI multiplayer games we don't see any effect on diplomacy from religions and the players focus more in strategic alliances. The AI should learn from human players' needs and become more realistic. Other things that I could remember are:
  • Some opponents attack you without a reason and from long distances (in european games when I'm spanish and I have Gengis Khan attacking me). Open borders doesn't mean open borders for military units.
  • No negotiation at all (Just fixed prices)
  • When AI ask you to participate in conflicts and/or embargos they are not offering you anything.
  • In a map with several civilizations, every turn means several diplomacy windows.
I think there is a lot of things that makes diplomacy not realistic and I will try to propose solutions in further posts, not just phrases like "improve the AI" as we can see in the forums. 

A similar thing happens in the economic system. A system far away from real world that just works for unit upgrading. We don't see trade at all, just barter. Not budget at all. Taxes are not really taxes. I expect to analize it and propose solutions. 

I really support the idea that the game should be FUN but we can't ignore real life facts that makes Civ Series an earth simulator. Civ 5 should find the perfect balance between fun and realistic playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment